Welcome to the Franklin Square Public Library’s Children’s Room!
Where children are encouraged to explore, play, create, and develop a love of reading.
Catering to children from birth to sixth grade, the Children’s Library contains:
- Picture books: Filled with both words and pictures, these books are perfect for parents to read aloud at story time.
- Easy Readers: Perfect for beginner readers in the first and second grades, these short books have illustrations and use simple words and sentences to tell a story.
- Chapter Books: Fiction books for readers from third to sixth grade. These books are longer and more complex than Easy Reads and have few, if any, illustrations.
- Non-Fiction: Books that are fact-based rather than stories. Non-fiction books are used in research projects.
- Magazines: Popular children’s magazines including Highlights and National Geographic Kids.
- Books on CD: Audio book version of written texts.
- Music CDs: Music from popular children’s programs, movies, and artists.
- Computers: Six terminals for homework and entertainment.
Programs and Services:
Story Times & Story Crafts: Your child will have oodles of fun at our story times, designed for children between the ages of 18 months and 5 years old, and story crafts, for children between 3 and 5 year olds.
Special Programs: The Library’s special programs include sing-a-longs, fun and interactive lectures, and crafts presented by artists, chefs, Librarians, and museum curators.
Craft Programs: Join the Children’s Librarians for craft time.
Book Discussions: Read a book and discuss it with a group.
The Lego Club: If your child loves to build with LEGOs then he/she will love this ongoing program where the Library provides the LEGO blocks. Participants can work together as a group or individually to design a masterpiece which will be photographed and featured on the Library’s website.
Event/Program Pictures: Check out pictures from Children’s events and programs held at the Library.
Research: In addition to a vast collection of print material, the Library also subscribes to a number of online databases which provide access to reliable and age appropriate research material as well as educational games.
Quizzes: Fun quizzes created by our Children’s Librarians. Kids who answer all the questions correctly will automatically be included in a random drawing for a prize.
Summer Reading Clubs: Held annually between the months of June and August.
Read-to-Me Summer Reading Club: Help your little one develop valuable skills by reading, singing, and playing games with him/her throughout the summer in this reading club designed especially for children between the ages of 2 and 3.
Summer Reading Club: Keep your child reading throughout the summer! After a child reads four books, he/she will be invited to the Summer Reading Club Party at the end of the summer. Children who read 16 or more books win a free book. Open to children between the ages of 4 and 12.