Who are the Friends of the Library?
The Friends of the Library are a group of volunteers who work to strengthen the Library’s resources and provide additional services designed to better serve the public.
What services have the Friends of the Library provided thus far?
- sponsored the purchase of two separate museum passes
- sponsored visits by children’s authors David Adler and Johann Hurwitz (2015)
- sponsored a visit and luncheon featuring authors Eleanor Kuhns (2013), Christina Baker Kline (2014), and Natalie S. Harnet (2015)
- purchased a LCD Flat Screen Monitor for the Library’s vestibule
- purchased a Nook and two Kindles for public circulation
How do the Friends of the Library raise necessary funds?
In order to raise the funds needed for their programs and services, the Friends of the Library have organized a series of successful book sales and bake sales. In addition, they have also sold raffles at the Lion’s Club and Kiwanis Street Fairs.
What are the Friends of the Library up to next?
- The Friends are sponsoring a bus trip to the Hunterdon Hills Playhouse to see “Social Security” on Friday, October 23 (pickup at 8:30am and drop off at 5:15pm). The cost of this trip (which includes the bus, show, and lunch) is $80 which is due at registration. All checks must be submitted by September 1, 2015. Click here to view the flier.
Want to join?
The Friends of the Library are always happy to accept new members–especially those with school-age children so as to better represent all segments of the Franklin Square community. Meetings are held on the 3rd Thursday of every month at 10:30am (excluding July 2015). If you are interested in becoming a member of the Friends of the Library please call Interim Library Director Peggy Smith at 516-488-3444.
President: Grace Gustafson
Vice President: Gertrude Cucciniello
Treasurer: Eleanor Molina
Recording Secretary: Betty Belford
Corresponding Secretary: Alan Gustafson